GayandRight

My name is Fred and I am a gay conservative living in Ottawa. This blog supports limited government, the right of the State of Israel to live in peace and security, and tries to expose the threat to us all from cultural relativism, post-modernism, and radical Islam. I am also the founder of the Free Thinking Film Society in Ottawa (www.freethinkingfilms.com)

Monday, October 02, 2006

Do teachers inflate girls' grades?

A study in Sweden say yes...but I doubt you'll ever see this kind of study here.
The long-held suspicion of schoolboys the world over may be correct: girls are the teachers' favourites when it comes to doling out grades at the end of the school year.

That, at least, is the conclusion of a Swedish study which has shown that boys are getting lower grades at the end of the ninth grade - the last year of compulsory schooling - despite doing just as well in the national exams.

Boys' final grades in English, mathematics and Swedish are clearly lower than those of girls, compared to their results in the national tests, reported Dagens Nyheter.

Maria Nycander, the researcher at Uppsala University who has examined eight years of results, says that boys could turn their backs on education if the issue is not addressed.

"This shows beyond any doubt that boys are being treated unfairly," Nycander told DN.

"A large part of the differences between boys and girls is due to the unfair awarding of grades."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feminists worked hard to achieve results exactly like this, so the study is not surprising really.

Well, at least less males will waste their time in increasingly irrelevant Universities...

11:10 PM  
Blogger CQ said...

_I don't know there being such a clearly drawn bias but my final grades used to typically return within 3 or 4 percent - Gym, English, Science... and also along a falling scale through high school. My gr12 accounting teacher even had a mid semester 49% warning note mailed - that I discovered, while my up-to-date test scores were comfortably at a B+ level. I signed my name only to the exam and demanded a 52%.
_I'd get removed from advanced math class on the first day of grade seven and bounced between english divisions.
_I also had my two-years Honours level marred by a falsified 50% & 70% paid correction at community college (The 70% was a minimum for profession exception. The "excuse" was that the instructor forgot to submit my side project for the exception). The blemished college grade(s) was afterwards corrected to a proper 82% which I found out about 13 years later from a renewed $10 transcript.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home