GayandRight

My name is Fred and I am a gay conservative living in Ottawa. This blog supports limited government, the right of the State of Israel to live in peace and security, and tries to expose the threat to us all from cultural relativism, post-modernism, and radical Islam. I am also the founder of the Free Thinking Film Society in Ottawa (www.freethinkingfilms.com)

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Another eyewitness to the U of T event...

Thanks for Isaac for posting the link to his facebook page...
A few people have asked me this morning about what happened last night at UofT. I attended the Israel Apartheid Week event with a few friends and was prepared to ask a couple questions. The girl sitting next to me asked a question to one of the speakers about the problems with Hamas's Charter. The speaker answered the question by discussing occupation and Israel's "racist" policies, etc, instead of actually addressing the issue of Hamas's Charter and denial of Israel's right to exist. A couple people in the crowd, including myself, shouted out to the speaker "answer the question!" (It is generally fair game at these events where there are more activists present than observers to request that the speaker focus on the question asked). At this point, one of the (probably unlicensed) private security guards hired by SAIA approached me from behind. When I turned around in my seat to look at him, he grabbed and squeezed the back of my neck and growled at me from about 10 inches in front of my face "you shut the fuck up! shut the fuck up!" At this point I kept my cool moved back and I was like "get away from me bro, don't touch me!" One of the event organizers called for someone to ask the police standing outside in the hallway to come in to remove me for "causing a disruption" at which point I encouraged the police to come in to record the name and identity of the individual who assaulted me. I left the room promptly and reported the incident to the police. I will be filing a formal report later today with Metro Police.

I personally believe in freedom of speech and that students should be allowed to book lecture halls to present speakers who express radical, even extreme views. The presence, however, of (probably) unlicensed, private security gaurds wearing bullet proof vests and leather jackets who physicaly assault people who speak up against those radical, extreme views, must be confronted. SAIA must not be allowed to bring hired goons onto campus to intimidate people who oppose their views. I feel ashamed as a UofT alumnus.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kit said...

I bet the leather jacket was actually a brown shirt.

This is how it starts.

U of T, Ryerson, York... usually its three strikes and your out. I wouldn't let my kid go to any Toronto University (still don't consider Ryerson poly-tech a university! Good Lord it has a journalism degree!?!) even if they gave her triple the scholarship!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Gadget said...

Always remember the following with regards to private security personnel:

1. They must hold a license and produce it on demand.

2. You can file a complaint with a licensee's employer or with the registrar of the Private Security and Investigative Services Branch. To file a complaint with the registrar, you must:
Complete the written complaint form which is available on this website under Licences and Forms (http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/PISG/LicencesandForms/private_inv_sec.html)
Sign the form and submit it to the Private Security and Investigative Services Branch within 90 days of the incident/occurrence. If you want to file after 90 days, you will need the consent of the registrar.
For more information, contact:
Private Security and Investigative Services Branch
777 Bay Street, 3rd Floor
Toronto Ontario M7A 2J6
416-212-1650 or 1-866-767-7454

3. Remember that security guards must be readily identifiable. Security uniforms must include:
A company crest on the chest of the outer garment.
The term "SECURITY","SÉCURITÉ", SECURITY GUARD" or "AGENT DE SÉCURITÉ" permanently attached on the chest of the outer garment in block letters in a contrasting colour at least 1.5 centimetres high. The terms must be attached between 2 and 3 centimetres below the name, logo or crest of the licensee that employs the security guard if the name, logo or crest appears elsewhere on the uniform in addition to the chest of the outermost garment.
The term "SECURITY" or "SÉCURITÉ" on the back of the outermost garment, no less than 10 centimetres high (blazers, sweaters and collared shirts excepted). "SECURITY" or "SÉCURITÉ" must be in upper case letters and be in a contrasting colour.
An identification tag (with name or licence number) on the outer garment.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home