GayandRight

My name is Fred and I am a gay conservative living in Ottawa. This blog supports limited government, the right of the State of Israel to live in peace and security, and tries to expose the threat to us all from cultural relativism, post-modernism, and radical Islam. I am also the founder of the Free Thinking Film Society in Ottawa (www.freethinkingfilms.com)

Friday, April 08, 2005

Satellite Radio in Canada: A Mess

I think satellite radio is terrific. Not that I get it, but I think the offerings by Sirus and by XM in the United States are excellent. Unfortunately, we just can't subscribe to those services: the CRTC won't let us. Three companies are vying to offer satellite radio in Canada, and the whole process is being held up by the CRTC. In the meantime, the grey market for satellite radio is growing - estimated by Stephen Tapp of Canadian Satellite radio at 100,000 Canadian subscribers.

Why on earth do we need to have the CRTC involved? Oh yes, it all comes down to canadian content. Canadians could never be trusted to make their own decision- they might afterall subscribe to an American service, god forbid.