The way forward for the Republicans...
There is a way forward for the Republicans....but who knows if they will go down the right path. Here are my suggestions...
1. Social conservatism will not win general elections for the Republicans. Issues like abortion and same-sex marriage are not winners for them.
2. In the major cities, the Republicans (like our Conservatives) need to run what I call metro conservatives - candidates who are gay-friendly, and are more interested in lower taxes, smaller government, free speech, and free-market environmentalism.
3. Being pro-family is fine - but embrace gay families in your definition.
4. Continue the fight against Islamic Jihad. Make sure people know that Republicans want nothing to do with the surrender faction in America.
5. The Republicans need to clean up their act and run candidates who are disdainful of earmarks, and who are very different from traditional democrats like Charles Schumer (who used Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as his own personal fiefdom).
6. Offer a different environmentalism - talk about real environmental problems (a la Bjorn Lomborg) like clean water, sewage, etc. And, let's see some free-market environmental solutions.
7. Be more libertarian. Offer a contrast to politically-correct Democrats.