GayandRight

My name is Fred and I am a gay conservative living in Ottawa. This blog supports limited government, the right of the State of Israel to live in peace and security, and tries to expose the threat to us all from cultural relativism, post-modernism, and radical Islam. I am also the founder of the Free Thinking Film Society in Ottawa (www.freethinkingfilms.com)

Thursday, March 26, 2009

McCain strategist supports same-sex marriage..

Good for him....more conservatives need to embrace same-sex marriage, which is a very conservative notion...
Steve Schmidt, chief strategist for U.S. Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) presidential campaign, came out in favor of marriage rights for same-sex couples in an interview with the Blade last week while urging the Republican Party to be more inclusive of gays and lesbians.

“I’m personally supportive of [marriage] equality for gay couples and I believe that it will happen over time,” he said. “I think that more and more Americans are insistent that, at a minimum, gay couples should be treated with respect and when they see a political party trying to stigmatize a group of people who are hardworking, who play by the rules, who raise decent families, they’re troubled by it.”
I have always thought of same-sex marriage as a very conservative issue. Promoting marriage is conservative - whether it's same-sex or opposite sex.

4 Comments:

Blogger NorthBayTrapper said...

Hey Fred,
This one has been a tough one for me. I've always been hesitant on gay marriage because instinctively I felt that marriage would be trivialized (Lord knows that it is well on its way there now). I felt that allowing gays to marry was just any brick pulled from what I consider to be the foundation of our country (families will always be the greatest social safety net). I don't know if I was operating out of ignorance, or perhaps, there has been a real change in the lifestyle of most gays. My apologies if my words are not clarion, but in a nutshell, I am becoming more comfortable with gay marriage as I perceive more gays are becoming more interested in committed relationships. Am I a victim of media? Was gay lifestyle a free for all? Has it changed? As someone who can only sees it from the outside I am curious.

3:25 PM  
Blogger GayandRight said...

Dear North Bay Trapper: Glad you are thinking about this issue. Yes, families are the best social safety net....yet another reason why gay people should be allowed to marry.

It's not that gay are becoming more interested in committed relationships..it's more that those who are should have the ability to marry...and they should be role models for other gays.

Without the ability for gays to marry, they are then forced to make 'other' arrangements...and then that serves as a role model for others....

I really want young gays to aspire to that wedding, to the honeymoon, etc....

3:51 PM  
Blogger NorthBayTrapper said...

Well put. I get the feeling that there is an improvement in the attitude. I sense that the rambunctious carnival of the seventies and eighties may have lost some of its shine and pardon my wording here as I mean no offence, and gays seem more likely to want to lead normal lives (again pardon my choice of words).
It's nice to see an evolution taking place, too bad the straights are heading in the opposite direction.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Guys there is a great LGBT civil rights organization called the Empowering Spirits Foundation. They are very creative in how they approach this hot topic issue of gay marriage, in that they engage in service oriented activities in communities typically opposed to equal rights to foster thought and change for LGBT equality.

A friend of mine told me about it and I thought it was a great, positive approach to the issue. We had so much fun at the last event and it was great to give back to the community. Plus it was great to converse with others on the other side of the table in a way that wasn't confrontational.

Anyway, this can be such a heated issue and I thought this was a unique approach.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Empowering-Spirits-Foundation/49288966338

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home