Two arrests made in Ottawa bank firebombing....
Good...and let's get the anarchist group, now...
Ottawa police have arrested two men in the May 18 firebombing of an Ottawa bank.
A 50-year-old, who was arrested days after the firebombing in an unrelated investigation and charged with careless storage of ammunition, was charged on Friday with arson and mischief.
The other man, a 58-year-old retired public servant, was charged with arson. Police believe he rented a 2010 SUV, which was used as the getaway car.
The licence plate of the truck was caught on security video, which led police to check rental car records.
The Ottawa Citizen has learned that the 58-year-old suspect used his own credit card and driver’s licence to rent the truck.
The firebombing, for which anarchist group FFFC-Ottawa claimed responsibility, was filmed and posted online, but was considered an unsophisticated attack.
The person who rented the SUV had told the Citizen in a recent interview that he was “absolutely not” linked to the attack.
The 58-year-old also said he knew nothing about the incident. He said he did not lend the vehicle to anyone and added if it had been stolen he would have reported it to police.
Ottawa police have scheduled a Saturday morning news conference to talk about the investigation.
Police Chief Vern White had said he was confident arrests would be made soon in the hunt for the anarchist group.