GayandRight

My name is Fred and I am a gay conservative living in Ottawa. This blog supports limited government, the right of the State of Israel to live in peace and security, and tries to expose the threat to us all from cultural relativism, post-modernism, and radical Islam. I am also the founder of the Free Thinking Film Society in Ottawa (www.freethinkingfilms.com)

Monday, May 02, 2005

Sharansky resigns from Israeli Government

I have a lot of respect for Natan Sharansky, and I strongly recommend that everybody read his book, "The Case for Democracy". It is indeed telling that he has resigned today. Here's what he said in his lettter of resignation.
"As you know, I was opposed to the disengagement plan from the outset, on the basis of my deep belief that every concession in the peace process made by the Israeli side must be accompanied by democratic reform on the Palestinian side," Sharansky wrote.

He told Israel Army Radio that he considers the disengagement plan "a tragic mistake that exacts a high price and also encourages terror."
I hope he's wrong and that the disengagement is the right policy but I fear that he is right.