GayandRight

My name is Fred and I am a gay conservative living in Ottawa. This blog supports limited government, the right of the State of Israel to live in peace and security, and tries to expose the threat to us all from cultural relativism, post-modernism, and radical Islam. I am also the founder of the Free Thinking Film Society in Ottawa (www.freethinkingfilms.com)

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Academic bias...

In the US, it's getting harder and harder to find conservatives in the faculty - I bet it's worse in Canada...

I think my political views hurt my career some years back when I was interviewing for a job at a prestigious research university. Everything seemed to be going well until I mentioned, in a casual conversation with department members over dinner, that I planned to vote Republican in the upcoming presidential election. Conversation came to a halt, and someone quickly changed the subject. The next day, I thought my final interview went fairly well. But the department ended up hiring someone who had published far less, but apparently "fit" better than I did. At least that's what I was told when I called a month later to learn the outcome of the job search, having never received any further communication from the school. (A friend at the same university later told me he didn't believe that particular department would ever hire a Republican.)

Now there is more data backing up experiences like mine. Recently, my Villanova colleague Richard Redding and my longtime collaborator Frederick Hess commissioned a set of studies to ascertain how rare conservative professors really are, and why. We wanted real scholars to use real data to study whether academia really has a PC problem. While our work was funded by the right-of-center American Enterprise Institute, we (and our funders) have been very clear about our intention to go wherever the data would take us. Among the findings:

Daniel Klein of George Mason University and Charlotta Stern of Stockholm University looked at all the reliable published studies of professors' political and ideological attachments. They found that conservatives and libertarians are outnumbered by liberals and Marxists by roughly two to one in economics, more than five to one in political science, and by 20 to one or more in anthropology and sociology.

In a quantitative analysis of a large-scale student survey, Matthew Woessner of Penn State-Harrisburg and April Kelly-Woessner of Elizabethtown College found strong statistical evidence that talented conservative undergraduates in the humanities, social sciences and sciences are less likely to pursue a PhD than their liberal peers, in part for personal reasons, but also in part because they are offered fewer opportunities to do research with their professors. (Interestingly, this does not hold for highly applied areas such as nursing or computer science.)

And, i will be bringing in to Ottawa, on February 18th, 2008, the movie, Indoctrinate U, which looks at left wing indoctrination at Universities.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spitfire said...

Hey there! I would love to see the movie (I'm in Ottawa) I read Horowitz's Indoctrination U, it's pretty good!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I have lost many jobs myself do to my conservative views, support of the US and desire to speak out against social engineering. It is a choice one must make for its own merits because the cost is high. But look at it this way, if we ever win this battle, look at the potential rewards too. That is how the left got where they are now, they focused on the goodies and spoils to be won by winning. Conservatives must do the same. (real conservative)

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home