GayandRight

My name is Fred and I am a gay conservative living in Ottawa. This blog supports limited government, the right of the State of Israel to live in peace and security, and tries to expose the threat to us all from cultural relativism, post-modernism, and radical Islam. I am also the founder of the Free Thinking Film Society in Ottawa (www.freethinkingfilms.com)

Monday, October 24, 2011

Fundamentalism

In a comment on a previous posting by me, Dr. Dawg writes: "Fundamentalism of all kinds is the enemy. I don't think we should pick and choose." I encourage Dr. Dawg to purchase my book, Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity.

It is interesting how certain people, when you criticize Christian fundamentalism, are quick to cheer. Then when you turn around and criticize Islamic fundamentalism, which frankly is a much more alarming phenomenon, the same people are quick to condemn you for not criticizing Christian fundamentalism in the same breath.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr.Dawg said...

Context, Bruce. You lump in all forms of Islam, including the Tunisian version (Ennahda) that supports women's rights and democracy, as supposedly extreme and dangerous.

I think we have more to worry about with the US Christian Right than we do about alleged "Islamism" in Tunisia and Turkey, which reminds me more of the "Christian" in "Christian Democrats" than of the more extreme American versions.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Kal said...

I do think so called "Christian fundamentalism" - which is usually opposite to the real fundamentum of Christianity - is more dangerous because of the very strongly organized international network of the Church. I have a post about this topic in my own blog: http://kaleidoscope.blog.hu/2011/09/22/significance_of_homophobia_presenting_in_the_central_and_east_european_societies_onto_the_global_ack

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home